Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Rest of my Life

When people say that you can do anything you put your mind to, I believe them. At this point in my life, I think I have the choice to go into any field I want. The only problem is I don't know what I want to do.

My friend Esther (above) is very confident in her life plan. She is working at her chemistry lab while she gets a degree in biochemistry and math. Then she is getting her MD and Phd to do research in cancer. If only I could be so confident in my majors.

Business is practical. My major in marketing is established and reliable. There is also a lot of room for creativity. My major in technology management is mentally stimulating. It involves problem solving and challenging critical thinking, a necessity in my future career path. I am fairly content with my current route, but nervous there are better options.

I have plenty of interests and I wouldn't mind pursuing them in school. With my math minor, I get to enjoy my interest in math and logical thinking. With my music minor, I learn new instruments and develop a deeper understanding for music. But there are other areas I want to get more involved in.

Photography is part of my daily life. I use the camera as a tool for living. A big occurrence must be recorded. Heading the Photography Society allows me to work on that interest and meet other like minded people. Not only does photography interest me, all of the arts do. I love to paint, write, sculpt, compose, design, and simply be creative.

Maybe my best option in life is to develop my creative side. But I have to balance enjoyment with practicality. As much as I don't like to admit it, both are very important.

I like to think my path with come in time, but I will miss many opportunities without a plan. These are my last summers without work. This may be my last chance at getting a BA or BS. This is my last chance to get a degree in violin making. The decisions I make today do have consequences for tomorrow. Now is the time to discover who I am and where I will take my life.

Tomorrow, I will try to find myself at the Museum of Contemporary Art.

Current Listening - Ravel: Miroirs, No. 3 Une barque sur l'ocean

0 Responses: